Horse racing partnerships, owners and trainers deal with heavy rains in So. California, disrupted training schedules and poor racing surfaces affecting entries.

Santa Anita Park in Arcadia Ca. has received a large volume of rain over the past few weeks and all horseman have been affected. Workouts and training have been cancelled or postponed because of track closures in addition to trainers not training because of safety concerns over the condition of the track surface. The Blinkers On thoroughbred horse racing partnership has had to delay starts for first time starters and horses coming off layoffs because of disrupted training patterns. Gator Don't Play, an unraced 3 year old, is hoping to make his first start on 2/5 but any more missed days will put that on hold. Our promising Street Boss filly, Gee Street, is coming off a brief freshening and has missed critical time and will miss the 1/28 date we had targeted for her return. Horses that are already fit are less affected because a missed day here and there is not so important. In addition fit horses will generally be at an advantage on the deeper track produced by the rainfall. We are all in the same boat, we are just dealing with it day by day.

In other racing news... Plane Lucky will be back in the starting gate with best friend Rafael Bejarano in a 6 furlong allowance race on 2/4 at Santa Anita. She is coming off a strong 2nd place at this level in her last start. Cutting back a half furlong should do the trick! Last One Standing has options at Santa Anita on 1/26 and at Golden Gate on 1/27. He is also coming off an impressive 2nd place finish and just needs to catch the right field to get that 4th win. Finally, Jet Ski has been transferred to trainer Richard Baltas to see if he can get our promising, well bred colt back on track!

Back to news
Blinkers On Racing

Join Our Mailing List

Receive updates when new offerings are available, race alerts and stable news.